Sunday, February 27, 2011

Resistance

Art, specifically the process of creating art, is a battle. There is a war inside the artist with a force trying to keep one from creating. That force is resistance. 

Working at home it is easy to find "other" things to do besides the work that needs done in the studio. I'm not talking about art in the sense that it is a hobby or something to do when one is bored or relaxing. I am speaking of the art that must be created by the professional artists who know that without producing new work regularly their "tribe" (as Seth Godin describes it) of collectors move on to the next big thing. 

Procrastination, laundry, that movie on TV, dinner, and household chores keep the artist out of the studio and add to the resistance that must be overcome to create new work. As I sit here at the computer writing this post I have experienced years of resistance. I mean years! I have not created new work that excites me for a long time. And yes, there has been a ton of health issues, and other "things" keeping me from the studio. But, with that said, it is still resistance keeping me and my fellow artists from creating new work.

Are you experiencing resistance? Overcome it today, and just work...don't worry about the sales price, or where to sell it, just work! Get in front of the canvas, paper, or whatever media it is, and simply create. Do it regularly, and you may win the war within.

- Michael

No comments: